By Paul Nyathi
MDC-T spokesperson Obert Gutu who was reported to have quit the party last week has made a shocking about turn claiming that he never resigned from the party and his position after all.
Speaking in a Voice Of America run Studio Seven interview on Saturday, Gutu said that media houses failed to understand a Twitter message he published which they presumed meant he was resigning.
“My Tweet was very clear and needed no explanations. I wonder how media houses failed to understand it and make it sound like I was resigning,” said Gutu.
Gutu’s controversial and ambiguous tweet read as follows;
“BIG ANNOUNCEMENT, I’m not going to continue associating myself with an organisation that advocates for violence and thuggery.
I’m a principled politician and professional.
I’m NOT quitting politics. I’m going to contest in Harare East constituency in the 2018 elections,” he said.
He added: “Violence and thuggery as a tool for political mobilisation is simply not acceptable in my scheme of things. We are supposed to be a political party and not a rag tag armed militia.”
He insisted that he is still the MDC-T spokesperson.
Gutu further reiterated that he was going ahead with his plans to contest the Harare East Constituency seat against the MDC Alliance coalition agreement.
“I am going ahead with my plans to contest the constituency and we are on the ground as we speak,” he said.
The MDC Alliance agreed that the constituency was to be reserved for coalition partner Tendai Biti leader of the People’s Democratic Party.