The ruling ZANU PF has issued a statement following a meeting between President Emmerson Mnangagwa and two Matebeleland organisations – the Matebeleland Collective and Bulawayo City Council councillors over Gukurahundi. Below is the statement in full.
• Today 22 August 2020, a Government delegation led by His Excellency, the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe. Cde Dr. E.D Mnangagwa and comprising of Minister of State for Bulawayo Metropolitan Province, Hon. Judith Ncube. Minister of Local Government and Public Works, Hon. July Moyo. Minister of Home Affairs and Cultural Heritage, Hon. Kazembe Kazembe. Minister of State Security, Hon Owen Ncube. His Worship the Mayor of Bulawayo Metropolitan Province S Mguni, Permanent Secretary for Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs, Mrs. V. Mabiza, Permanent Secretary for Home Affairs and Cultural Heritage Mr. A Nhepera, Acting Registrar General. Mr. Henry Machiri and other senior officials from various Government departments met with the leaders of the Matabeleland Collective and the Councilors of the City of Bulawayo, as part of ongoing efforts to deliberate on issues affecting the region.
• Today we are here to follow up on progress made to date.
• Earlier on His Excellency had discussions with the Mayor of Bulawayo Councilor Solomon Mguni, the Town Clerk Christopher Dube and the City Engineer Sikhangele Zhou.
• The three (3) outlined the challenges they face over the issue of water delivery in the City which includes sewer management.
• This meeting noted that though the issue of water delivery in Bulawayo and its attendant challenges are well known to successive elected City Council Officials and representatives, there has not been a comprehensive plan to address it effectively.
• To that end, he directed that the stakeholders in this issue who include Bulawayo City Council, the Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Water and Rural Resettlement and ZINWA come up with a detailed and comprehensive proposal to solve the water challenges.
• This proposal should outline the major challenges and the proposed solutions thereof, in a format depicting the respective activities, the cost and the overall budget in three (3) phases and this should be brought to His Excellency’s attention as soon as possible in the interest of bringing water to this great City.
• Today’s meeting continued with the spirit of dialogue between the Matabeleland Collective, where the President heard the issues affecting the region and where a progress report on the implementation of agreed resolutions was made,
• Some of the issues discussed include:-
i. The issuance of birth certificates and death certificates to victims of Gukurahundi. ii. Exhumations of victims of Gukurahundi iii. Zambezi Water project iv. Devolution v. Corruption at Rural District Councils vi. Increased participation of women in Government and Parliament; among others.
• The exercise to issue out documentation to victims of Gukurahundi will be rolled out in as soon as the involved parties have agreed on all logistical arrangements.