Watch Minister of Police Bheki Cele announce the long awaited break through.
There has been a breakthrough in the Senzo Meyiwa murder case, according to Police Minister Bheki Cele.
Five people have been arrested on Monday morning in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal in connection with the murder.
According to the SAPS, “these arrests are as a result of a multi-disciplinary integrated approach to this investigation which is working closely with the Directorate for Public Prosecution.”
The police say they and the National Prosecuting Authority are confident in the case against all five suspects.
More arrests cannot be ruled out and the investigation is still ongoing, according to the police.
It has been six years to the day since Meyiwa was murdered.
Last week, reports emerged indicating that police may be in possession of a gun allegedly linked to the crime.
The Meyiwa family said the news following the arrests of the five suspects connected to Senzo Meyiwa’s murder is “bittersweet”.
The family said it wants justice brought against all those involved in the crime.
Senzo Meyiwa was killed at his girlfriend’s home in Vosloorus six years ago.
Family spokesperson Siyabonga Meyiwa said it’s still very difficult for the family.
“Senzo was literally everything in the family, we were looking up to him becoming a really bright star, which unfortunately was extinguished by some really bad people,” he said.
“We’re looking forward, everyone who was part of the murder must be booked as well.
“For the family, his mother is happy but there’s nothing that can make up for what Senzo would have done in the family, in terms of, giving them the type of living and the type of benefits that we were expecting and we were looking forward to in his career.
“There was a lot of investment that was done by the family and sacrifices in making sure that he was successful.”
Watch interview with the Meyiwa family.