South Africa’s Minister of Health Dr. Zweli Mkhize denied reports that the country was experiencing a second wave of Covid-19 infections.
“We cannot say we are experiencing a second wave. It now depends how we manage it. We can contain this by our behaviour, by practicing non- pharmaceutical interventions,” Mkhize said during a press briefing on Sunday.
Mkhize acknowledged that there was a sign of numbers increasing in the Eastern Cape and Western Cape provinces adding that they were areas that were now under watch.
The Eastern Cape and Western Cape provinces are two of the four regions in the country which have reported more than 100,000 cases; the others are Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
“We are identifying cluster outbreaks. These do not necessarily mean the whole country will go into a whole resurgence immediately,” Mkhize said.
“We can’t yet say this is a new surge. We are observing these areas and it important for us to share with our fellow South Africans,” he added.
Mkhize previously said the numbers of confirmed coronavirus cases in South Africa were reducing but warned the country was not yet out of danger yet. South Africa had been recording an average of 2,000 cases of COVID-19 every day in the previous week.
Mkhize also urged all South Africans to continue to adhere to the existing restrictions in order to prevent a potential second wave of the coronavirus.
“COVID-19 is very much with us. We need to encourage more people to wear masks, wash hands and avoid super spreading events,” he said.
“It is important to adhere to non-pharmaceutical interventions. We need sustained behavioural change.”
As of November 15, South Africa has recorded 751,024 confirmed cases, 20,241 deaths and 693,497 recoveries.