Staff Reporter| Contrary to social media reports, former Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo has not been acquitted at all. His lawyer, prof Lovemore Madhuku speaks to ZimEye Tuesday afternoon.
Prof Madhuku says the reports of Chombo being acquitted on Tuesday are not true.
While ZimEye could not trace the source of the reports, ZimEye is reliably told by other sources, the development is a result of former President Robert Mugabe demanding that Chombo be released as a condition for him to endorse President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Operation Restore Order was pivoted on targeting so called criminals around former President Robert Mugabe. During the time of the first negotiations mid November last year, Chombo was one of those left out of the “Mugabe-Mnangagwa resignation deal” – he failed to escape as 50 plus other were allowed swift passage out of the country. The latter 50 include ministers Prof Jonathan Moyo and Saviour Kasukuwere.
But Prof Madhuku says Chombo is still out on bail and there was no hearing at all either yesterday or today and there will not be one “until the 6th April 2018.” FULL INTERVIEW FOLLOWS – REFRESH THIS PAGE TO HEAR AND READ. – ZimEye