By A Correspondent- A Harare bound ZUPCO bus caught fire leaving several passengers scurrying for cover.
The bus which was heading to the capital city reportedly developed an electrical fault leaving several passengers injured.
The bus was reduced to a shell
There were no fatalities except a few people who lost their valuables.
One of the drivers said it was an electric fault.
“It happened so quick, it was an electric fault.
“We couldn’t do much but at least everyone is safe,” he said.
Speaking to a Hatfield resident Kudakwashe Chatikobo said:
“My brother, it’s sad because we are celebrating heroes.
“I stay close by so I heard the sound and I came to the gate that’s when I saw flames.
“People were screaming and jumping out from the bus and many lost cell phones, and goods among other valuables.
“The good thing is no one was seriously injured.
“We couldn’t locate fire extinguishers.”
“Fire brigade team came a bit late the damage was already done.
” There was nothing they could do.
“It happened so fast hatina kupiwa time yekubatanidza.”
Another passenger only identified as Caroline said the incident happened so fast and she lost her handbag in the process of escaping.
“I lost my handbag and my cellphone.
“We just heard the sound like that of a tyre burst and there was smoke all over the bus.
“Panga pasina kumira mushe mwana wamai,” she said.