GOVERNMENT has reportedly docked the salaries of some striking doctors who downed tools 47 days ago and refused to go back to work even after the Labour Court declared their job action unlawful.
Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Association (ZHDA) secretary-general Tawanda Zvakada yesterday said while some striking doctors received their monthly pay, most of them did not.
“We did not receive our salaries. Some did, but the majority did not. We are writing a letter to the Health Services Board (HSB) to ask why,” Zvakada said.
This comes as HSB chairperson Paulinus Sikhosana earlier this month said the government would be implementing the no work, no pay principle on the striking doctors.
“The principle of no work no pay happens everywhere in the world. Every employer knows that if you do not work, you don’t get paid,” Sikhosana said.
The Labour Court ruling said that the striking medical practitioners who downed tools on September 3 should be paid provided they go back to work 48 hours after the judgment, which was issued last Friday.
Health and Child Care minister Obadiah Moyo, during a tour of Harare Hospital yesterday, told the media that government will honour its side of the deal by making sure doctors would get the promised 60 percent allowance increment before the end of this month.