Full List Of New Street Names For Bulawayo Not Mnangagwa’s List
6 February 2020
The city of Bulawayo yesterday renamed their roads to replace some of the roads’ pre-colonial era names. Ignoring the cabinet’s road names suggestion Bulawayo renamed their roads as they dimmed fit.
Here is a full list of the new road names:
- Council resolved to stick to the numbered format for Avenues in the CBD from First to 15th Avenue.
- Councillors chose to honour the President by renaming George Avenue (from Harare Road to Old Esigodini Road) Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa Avenue
- Leopold Takawira Avenue (from Samuel Parirenyatwa Street to Umguza River Bridge along Gwanda Road) which is now King Mzilikazi Road,
- Nketa Drive is now Queen Lozikheyi Dlodlo Drive,
- Athlone Avenue is now Simon Vengai Muzenda Road
- 23rd Avenue is now Landa John Nkomo Road
- Lady Stanley Avenue is now Mama Joanna Mafuyana Avenue,
- Steeldale Road and Anthony Tylor Road is now Albert Nxele Road,
- Dunde Drive has been renamed Sikhanyiso Duke Ndlovu Drive,
- Fife Street is now Nikita Mangena Street and
- Fort Street has been renamed Lookout Masuku Street.
- Old Khami Road is now Sydney Malunga Road,
- Basch Street is Dumiso Dabengwa Road,
- Waverley Road is now Jairos Jiri Road
- Fairbridge has been renamed Erick Bloch Way.
- Hillside Road which is now Sir Garfield Todd Road,
- Van Riebeck Road is now Joseph Msika Drive,
- Connaught Avenue is now Cephas Cele Avenue,
- Collenbrander Road is now Daniel Madzimbamuto Road,
- Manchester Road is now George Nyandoro Road,
- Vera Road is now Naison Khutshwekhaya Ndlovu Road,
- Birkenhead Road has been renamed Sikanjaya Muntanga Road
- Doncaster Road is now Maria Msika Road.
- Lobengula Street has been corrected to King Lobengula Street,
- Moffat Road in Hillside which has been corrected to Robert Moffat Drive and
- Leander Road in Hillside which is now Dr Leander Star Jameson.
- Coghlan Avenue which is now Charles Patrick Coghlan Avenue
- Cecil Avenue which is now Cecil John Rhodes Avenue