Man Survives Poisoning By A Whisker
6 February 2021
Spread the love

By A Correspondent- There is a thin line between love and hate, a Kadoma man can attest to this adage after his young wife of four years allegedly laced his cup of tea with poison intending to end his life.

Francis Khondanani escaped death by a whisker after his 24-year-old wife Tanyaradzwa Denhere served him with a cup of poisoned tea.

Tanyaradzwa packed her bags after the incident and is now on the run.

Police in Kadoma have since launched an investigation of suspected food poisoning under case number 4547203 and have sent Mr Khondanani for a medical examination. This serves to confirm that the above presented to us with a sample of tea. He suspects it might have been tempered with in an attempt to poison him.

Unfortunately, we do not have the laboratory capacity to analyse the tea. We have suggested that the sample be taken to a private laboratory for analysis, reads part of a letter addressed to ZRP Kadoma from Kadoma General Hospital.

Khondanani said he was now on the road to recovery and had been examined by doctors in Harare. I have been to Harare for medical checks and I am getting better though I have not fully recovered yet.

The doctors are currently examining a sample of the tea I drank that day ,so we are waiting for results, but meanwhile, I have opened a case at Kadoma Central Police station.

Francis narrated his heartwrenching ordeal at the hands of his beloved wife and mother of their child saying:

I don’t know what came over Mai Noku. We have been together for four years and God blessed us with a daughter Nokutenda.

We were always happy, and recently we toured the country’s resorts from Nyanga, Kariba and even Bulawayo because that’s what she loved. I took her places and she really looked happy to me.

On Saturday 23 January, she said she was not feeling well in the morning. She literally fell into my arms and looked pale and was shivering and she asked me to hold her because she felt sick. She really looked scared and when I asked her she said ‘hana yangu iri kurova’. She insisted she was okay but I had to make sure she sat down until she felt better.

I later left the house without taking breakfast and told her I would eat during lunchtime but upon coming back I was shocked to find her busy with the house chores. I asked how she was feeling and she said she was very fit. She offered me a cup of tea and I took it before leaving for work.

When I was about to leave, Mai Noku akandimhanyira akati asi munonyara kukisser mukadzi wenyu here? I smiled back ndikati ‘no ndinonyarei zvangu’ then she came closer to me and I kissed her cheek. This was the first time she did something like that but handina kuzviisa mumusoro. She stood by the gate waving at me kusvika mota yaenda,” he said.

It did not take much time before I started having stomach cramps, by this time I had reached the office. I thought it was something minor but it got worse and I postponed my 2pm meeting.

I had to drink two litres of fresh milk trying to vomit but it didn’t change. Ndaingorutsa mukaka wegawega and drove back home. I couldn’t walk straight the pain was severe and sharp.

When I got home I found Mai Noku gone, all her clothes were not there. I had a running stomach and I am sure that saved me. I later managed to go to the hospital.