By A Correspondent-Kwekwe General Hospital doctors and staff members escaped unharmed after their quarters caught fire in the early hours of yesterday.
Nine families, including doctors, physiotherapist, nurses and an administrator, lost property worth thousands of dollars after the fire razed down their residence at around 3 am.
The fire came almost a week after another fire destroyed a Mpilo Central Hospital hostel block in Bulawayo.
Kwekwe General Hospital medical superintendent, Dr Patricia Mapanda said: “I can confirm that a fire broke out and razed one of the staff residences and it destroyed property. The staff members, including doctors, lost almost everything as they did not get time to remove their property.”
Dr Mapanda said no one was injured, adding that the quarters were meant for trainee doctors, but due to shortage of accommodation at the institution, had been converted into makeshift doctors’ residence.
“Some of our doctors have been staying there since we do not have enough accommodation at the facility,” he said. “Some have been staying there with their families, but we are grateful to God that there were no casualties and no injuries recorded.”