UPDATED: Gunshots As Armed Terrorist Shot Dead In Lynnmall
3 September 2021
Spread the love

By A Correspondent | New Zealand Police Friday afternoon shot and killed a man who entered a New Lynn supermarket and injured a reported 6 people.

A Zimbabwean woman, one of the survivors, briefly spoke to ZimEye.

3 people were at the time of writing in critical condition, 1 very serious, and both taken to Auckland Hospital. One was in moderate condition and taken to Waitakere Hospital. The 6th who was in moderate condition was taken to Middlemore Hospital.

The incident happened at a supermarket at Countdown Lynnmall, New Lynn, New Zealand.

The attacker had at the time of writing been shot dead by police officers. Armature footage has a round of gunshots being offloaded purportedly onto the man as he was out down by officers.

A Zimbabwean citizen trapped in a pharmacy across the wall briefly spoke ZimEye.

Police officers were at the time of writing still inspecting the shopping mall after the suspected terrorist was shot dead.

The number of people injured could not be ascertained at the time of writing.

The Zim citizen who declined to be identified told ZimEye, “I’m safe but very shaken by the sound of gunshots, we are waiting for the police to escort us out.” She added saying:

“I’m with other customers and staff from Chemist Warehouse. We are locked up in the shop waiting for the police to escort us out”

The attacker, described Srilankan who entered the country in 2011, and lived in Glen “ISIS inspired”, according to Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern.

The prime Minister and police commissioner Andrew Coster gave the details at a media briefing on Friday evening.

The attacker was “known to multiple agencies” and was under surveillance for some time, including during the attack.

Officers monitoring the individual were close enough to hear the attack take begin to take place in the LynnMall Countdown and were able to stop in in around 60 seconds by shooting the man dead, reports local publisher, newshub.co.nz.

He is said to have used a knife in the attack that he acquired from within the supermarket.